Thursday, August 26, 2010

Klug, Michelle. Blog 1

Michelle Klug
Masters in Mass Communication, Journalism
I am originally from Clearwater, Florida but I have lived in Tallahassee for the past 5 years.
I came to the University of Florida because the journalism program was the best in the state of Florida. 
My career goal is to write for a print or online magazine, specifically one that involves the environment, animals, or travel. 
Some of my interests include running, yoga, music festivals, traveling as much as I can, learning about different cultures, hiking with my dog, and most recently I have begun learning how to sail. 
Since my undergraduate major was political science and english literature, my writing is mainly research papers on topics related to politics, policy, and literature. 
Something interesting about myself is that I have always been a die hard Seminole fan. I did all 4 years of my undergraduate at FSU. Coming to UF is something I never imagined myself doing. But since the journalism program is so good, I am trying very hard to ease into the Gator culture. Lets just say, it’s going to be a little while before you see me in orange and blue! 
Currently, I am reading a book by the Dalai Lama, “Becoming Enlightened”, which is mainly about the basic principles of Buddhism. This summer I also reread my favorite book, “To Kill a Mockingbird”, and “Islands in the Stream” by Hemingway. 
I usually frequent CNN.com for my news updates. I also subscribe to National Geographic in print form. A few times a week I will pick up a Gainesville Sun and every day I am on campus I grab an Alligator.
The classes I am taking this semester besides this are Electronic Publishing and Reporting. 
I am learning towards doing a project in lieu of a thesis. However, I have no idea what I am going to be doing it on yet. 
During this class, I hope to broaden my horizon on literary journalism and get a better understanding on the works of the authors I am not familiar with. Since I did not study journalism in undergraduate I hope to observe the styles of some successful journalists. 

No comments:

Post a Comment